Friday, May 3, 2013

I don't get along with my boss ... who should I list as a reference?


I was asked this very question a couple of months ago by a very distressed client who felt he was going to be fired soon. This client had no clue who to list as a reference for his current job and was very worried. While situations very from person to person, here were the suggestions I offered to my client (who, by the way, landed a job within 3 weeks of our session):
  1. Ask a former boss. This client had been in his current position about 11 years, and he was on his second boss. He got along very well with his first boss, so I suggested he list this person. (For those of you who have had only one boss in your job, then a suggestion would be to list a previous boss from another job.)
  2. Ask a coworker. My client had several coworkers who he felt would provide positive references.
  3. Ask a colleague in the organization. My client worked with colleagues in other departments, so he chose one who he felt would speak well of his talents.
The above were the three suggestions I provided to my client, but here are some other options to consider:
  1. Ask a professional colleague in the community. This is another great source for a reference, if you are involved with community organizations, volunteer groups, etc.
  2. If you've been a supervisor, ask one of your subordinates. This may be especially beneficial if you will be supervising a lot of people in your new position.
  3. If you're a recent grad, ask a professor.
Remember, if you don't get along with your boss, you are not alone. Hopefully, some of the above suggestions will give you ideas on who to ask to be a reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment